Please see attachment for screen shots or use the instructions below:
What is myFILES?
myFILES enables you to securely access and manage the UFV network folders and drives which you have been given remote access.
Log into myFILES
1. Choose an appropriate browser - myFILES supports the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6.0 and up (Windows)
- Netscape Browser 8.0 and up (Windows)
- Firefox version 1.5 and up (Macintosh and Windows)
- Safari 3.0 (Macintosh and Windows)
2. While not on campus, you have access to your UFV network drives at these locations:
- my.ufv.ca, choose Online Services page tab and UFV Network Files
- my.ufv.ca, choose My Courses page tab, My Courses channel, and the link for UFV Network Files
3. Enter your Username and Password and select the Login button.
How to set your file view preferences
1. Set Preferences – Toolbar Style
b. Toolbar Style
c. Text: Clean
2. Set Display Options
a. Display Options
How to open folders
You can open a folder by either:
1. Double-clicking on the folder
2. Using the Up or Drill Down buttons to go up or down in the hierarchy of folders
3. Using the Address pull down to pick an already opened folder
Employee Folder Structure
UFV employees have access to the following network drive areas:
- Departments gives access to G: drive (employees own department storage)
- HomeDIR gives access to F: drive (employees own personal storage)
- Public gives access to H: drive (employee campus-wide storage)
- Groups – additional network drive access for some employees
Example of what an employee sees in the Departments folder:
[ your department ] > Dept > HomeDIR > [ your username ]
[ UFV campus-wide storage ]
Groups – additional for some employees
[ your additional network drives ]
Instructor Folder Structure
UFV instructors have access to the following network drive areas:
- Instructor_Files gives access to Q: drive (instructor network drive for teaching files – student read-only access)
- Public gives access to H: drive (UFV campus-wide storage)
Example of what an instructor sees in the Student / Instructor folder:
Student > Instructor_Files [ listing of folders with instructor files] > Public [ UFV campus-wide storage ]
Using and viewing files
When you double-click to open a file in myFILES, it only allows you to view the file in the web browser. You cannot make any changes or download the file from this view. See: Download a file or folder.
Setup a shortcut to a file or folder
Use shortcuts to access your files in one step instead of “drilling down” and opening multiple levels of folders.
a. Navigate to the folder where the file or folder you need is stored
b. Single right-click on file or folder
c. Click Create Shortcut
Download a file or folder
How to transfer tiles from a remote network drive to the computer you are using:
a. Right click on the file or folder to download
b. Choose Download from pull down menu
- Use the Zip and Download feature to transfer large files or a large number of files. The files are compressed on the remote network drive before they are downloaded.
- After you select Continue, you will have the option of either Open or Save or Save as your file to a location you specify. Opening a file allows you to view the files from a temporary file location.
Upload a file or folder
How to transfer tiles from the computer you are using to a remote network drive:
a. First go to the network folder location where you want the files to be uploaded.
b. Click on Upload on the main toolbar
c. Click on + Add Files…
d. When the Choose File to Upload window opens, single click to select the file you want to upload.
NOTE: myFILES responds differently depending on which browser you use. Internet Explorer only allows for a single click selection. Firefox allows for a multiple click selection. In Firefox, use your CTRL key to select multiple files that are not grouped together. Use your SHIFT key to select multiple files that are grouped together.
e. Click Open.
f. To include another file for upload, click the Add Files button.
g. When the Choose File to Upload reappears, you can select another file.
h. Remove a single selected file or remove all selected files using the Remove all button.
i. Once you have selected all the files you want to upload, click either the Start upload to upload all files at once or use the arrow button to upload each file individually.
j. When the files have been successfully uploaded, you can choose to Close window.
4. For additional help, please refer to myFILES online Help.
Logging Off of myFILES
For security reasons, remember to log off of myFILES when you are finished.